- Format: Jacketed Hardcover
- Pages: 32
- Size: 8.2 X 10.6
- Price: $17.99
- Age Range: 3-8 years, PreK-3
- Publication Date: March 28, 2023
- ISBN: 9781953458483
Opal is devastated when her house is not deemed “fun and creative” enough for first place but learns there are more important prizes to be won. —Foreword Reviews
This encouraging exploration of perseverance reveals that we all have plenty of imagination—and much to offer. —Kirkus Reviews
Onomatopoeia relentlessly pursues some industrious campers as they strive to create the most imaginative birdhouse—ever. —Kirkus Reviews
Matheis’ short, readable paragraphs follow Opal from the highs of expectation to the lows of defeat—and back up again to the satisfaction of having created a working birdhouse. —Kirkus Reviews
Arrayás’ perky illustrations populate the story with a diverse cast of energetic characters. A short appendix features some bird habitats from around the world. —Kirkus Reviews
Key Selling Points:
- A determined protaginist full of heart—This character sets a great example for kids on the power of perseverance even in the face of a setback.
- Lend itself to classroom activities on buillding—This book would pair well with craft and maker units in schools, with simple materials like popsicle sticks, cardboard, glue, and other decorative elements for kids to make their own birdhouses!
- Informational Backmatter—Kids will delight in the fun facts of bird habitats around the world, including where they are found, what materials go into their nests, and even how many eggs they can fit inside!
- Brightly colored illustrations—With soft lines, beautiful watercolors, and a diverse array of characters, the eye-catching spreads will keep young readers engaged through the length of the story and make it a story to repeat.
Emily Matheis‘ books offer the windows and mirrors we long for in our literary escapes. From her first page to the last, each book retains the reader within its captivating setting and enthralling characters. She is a two-time award-winning writer through the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators organization.
Albert Arrayás was born in Barcelona, Spain (1990). His work reflects a delicacy, beauty, and above all a dream world accompanied by great details and textures. You can wander through or enjoy the blank space that can be filled by your imagination.