- Format: Jacketed Hardcover
- Pages: 32
- Size: 8.1 X 10.6
- Price: $14.99
- Age Range: 4-8 years
- Publication Date: Feb. 22, 2022
- ISBN: 9781953458292
” Lendroth’s text seamlessly captures a child’s love of something that they are slowly outgrowing without resorting to sentiment or nostalgia. “Piper loved her purple sweater. She loved it even before she could pronounce the word purple.” Some kids have a blankie or binkie, but Piper has Purpa, and for so long that she outgrows it. Her family members suggest new uses for Purpa, but Piper says no until the day she gets a new stuffed animal, a koala, and as he is given the sweater, he is also given Purpa’s name. Feng’s illustrations effortlessly depict all the characters’ various emotions (including the dog and koala) with skill and humor. The family’s adorable Yorkie is in nearly every scene, adding to the story’s light humor.
A delightful story of growing up, but not giving up on the thing you love.” –School Library Journal
What to Expect:
- Relatable childhood favorites—kids who have beloved clothing, blankies, or loveys will be able to relate to Piper’s attachment to Purpa, her favorite purple sweater.
- A reassuring perspective on growing up—as Piper outgrows her favorite sweater, she finds a new way to keep this special object in her life, gently showing young readers that growing up doesn’t have to be scary or mean leaving beloved things behind.
- Celebrates self-expression—selecting one’s own clothing is an important way for kids to express themselves and their individuality.
Susan Lendroth’s picture books range from science to history to children finding their place in the world—because Susan loves science and history and is still finding her place in the world! She works for the Los Angeles Public Library and devotes her spare time to a needy cat named Kitten. Her daughter’s childhood love of the color purple inspired this book.
Olivia Feng is an artist and illustrator who is inspired by the unique way that children view the world. She loves nature and animals, and lives with a cat and three dogs.